Friday, February 03, 2006

MacOnMacs: GarageBand 3 Podcast/Movie Tools Crash

NOTE: This failed to publish last night, so I'm reposting it now. :-)

I am extremely disappointed with the GarageBand 3 update in iLife '06. It's not that I don't think the new podcast or movie scoring tools aren't great, it's that I can't use them - at all - trying to do so just results in a nasty crash. I can start a "New Music Project" without any problems, but when I select "New Podcast Episode" or "New Movie Score", GarageBand goes ahead and starts loading in a bunch of stuff until it freezes on "Loading 'projectName' (Equalizer)...". At that point, GarageBand freezes and needs a "Force Quit" to close. I know there will be people that leap up, as they always do, to defend Apple as not possibly being able to predict and test all use cases, but I've seen enough complaints about this particular issue that I have to point the finger at Apple for not doing enough testing before releasing this to the public.

I've tried the recommendations that I've found on the web...
  1. Flip4Mac, the free software that replaces Microsoft's discontinued Mac support of .wmv files, was rumoured to be a problem (although apparently the latest update fixed this), but I uninstalled that to no effect;
  2. People also talked about there being an issue with some unsupported media types that get accessed through iLife's new Media Browser, which is built in to some of the new apps. It was suggested that you remove all your video media to somewhere other than your Movies or home folder to test this. I did them one better and created a fresh account, but to no avail. Besides, the Media Browser seems to work just fine in iWeb, so I doubt this is the problem.
Those are the main tips I've seen out there, but they've gotten me nowhere (hopefully they'll help some of you, though). I was so excited about using both of these great new tools in GarageBand, as they incorporate two things that I do professionally: making podcasts and scoring videos/film. If anyone has some other recommendations that you think might help then please let me know. Until then, I will be waiting for an update from Apple that I don't even know is going to come.
Submit to:    submit MacOnMacs: GarageBand 3 Podcast/Movie Tools Crash to digg.comDigg  |   book mark MacOnMacs: GarageBand 3 Podcast/Movie Tools Crash in del.icio.usDel.icio.us  |   submit MacOnMacs: GarageBand 3 Podcast/Movie Tools Crash to slashdot.comSlashdot

2/03/2006 11:32:00 a.m.  

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it possible your system or memory are over taxed?

February 04, 2006 12:34 p.m.  
Blogger Bret Taylor said...

Stories like this remind me why I prefer to let other people do the R&D work that Apple can't be bothered with.

February 06, 2006 8:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you get this to go away.
I have this same problem and I can't get Garageband to start?

April 26, 2006 9:50 p.m.  
Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the slow response - I've been away (see today's post) :-) .

Unfortunately, I had to do a complete system reinstall to fix this problem. I tried every piece of advice I could find, but to no avail.

I have no idea what was going on (I guess some conflict with 3rd party s/w, as it worked just fine after the reinstall), but it really ticked me off (especially b/c I was so excited for this to be released)! Sorry I can't provide you with anything more helpful. :-(

May 15, 2006 4:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had this exact same problem. GB3 was working perfectly earlier in the day, but then later it was not. After reinstalling GB3, running updates, etc, I finally realized that I had plugged in my iMic and was using that for audio input/output. I disconnected it, and GB3 was back to normal.

Strange stuff.

June 13, 2006 4:09 p.m.  
Blogger Peter Marquardt said...

I had this same problem today with GB2. I found your blog post and the last comment helped me locate the problem.

Opening the Audio MIDI Setup I found that my Griffin iMic somehow got set to mono for playback. Something that seems to throw GB off. After changing it back to 16 Bit stereo everything started working fine again. This bug is perfectly reproducable by deliberately setting playback to mono by the way.

Hope I helped. Anyway, it's not a GB3 bug, it seems to have been there before.

June 20, 2006 8:07 p.m.  
Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

Wow Peter - I have a Griffin iMic too, so maybe that was my problem. Thanks a ton for posting this, as I just had to resort to a complete system reinstall to get it working. Hopefully your comment with help others.

July 05, 2006 10:29 a.m.  
Blogger Mark Berry said...

Having the same problem here. I have a plantronics bluetooth headset installed. that might be the problem since everything seems to be device related. I couldn't find a "playback" option to switch to stereo though.

Got stuck on that. I will keep you posted if I find a solution.

January 31, 2007 10:32 a.m.  
Blogger Jeff MacArthur said...

I ended up having to do a fresh install of everything and then it worked fine, Mark. :-(

PS: Sorry for the late reply.

Jeff

February 24, 2007 3:27 p.m.  
Blogger Rick Fernández said...

I have this exact same problem. It's maddening! I also have a Griffin iMic but it's not attached. Is there something that I could change in GB3 that would make a difference? I am at my rope's end and I have no desire to do a full reinstall. Thanks.

March 28, 2007 5:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having the same problem- my garageband opens up perfectly fine when my imic is unplugged, but when it's plugged in garageband crashes or wont open. In my GB audio/midi preferences there is no option for mono and stereo. Where do i find these preferences?

April 07, 2007 7:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help in your article. I was having problems with Garageband when I inadvertently loaded the media browser. It would cause Garageband to freeze. However upon moving the .flv files in my Movies folder there was no problem! Yay!

May 12, 2007 7:56 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I've been having this problem too. I was recording podcasts with no problem, then all of a sudden GB would freeze whenever I tried to open a New Podcast (though New Music Project worked fine). After reading this I moved all my movie files out of the Movies folder and GB worked perfectly when I opened a new Podcast. Glad I got it working, but it's still pretty annoying that I can't have anything in Movies if I want to record a podcast.

March 13, 2008 12:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home